How to Use ExpressVPN Torrenting (August 2018)
ExpressVPN has everything you need for safe and fast p2p torrent file-sharing.
Using ExpressVPN for torrenting is ideal. Why?
- Fast download speeds
- Lots of high-quality servers located all around the world
- Its HQ is outside the the USA & EU
- Keeps no logs of your activities to ensure anonymous p2p file-sharing
- Has an effective kill switch (a feature it calls Network Lock)
- No leaks, including no IPv6 or DNS leaks
- Allows split tunneling of your VPN connection
- Supports all the VPN protocol you’d ever want including OpenVPN
- Very strong encryption (256-bit) to hide your connections
- Plus, ExpressVPN goes out of its way to advertise itself as a torrent VPN
30-day full money-back guarantee
'ExpressVPN Torrenting' Contents
Fully Committed to Your Privacy
ExpressVPN was built from the ground up with your privacy, safety and freedom in mind.
From basing itself in a privacy-friendly country outside the USA and Europe, to accepting Bitcoin payments, to keeping no logs of its customers’ activities, ExpressVPN respects your online freedom and protects your right to privacy.
ExpressVPN also utilizes military grade levels of encryption, 256-bit. Too many VPN services provide only 128-bit encryption.
All this attention to privacy by ExpressVPN means that you can download what you want without fear.
Super Easy to Use
Too many VPN apps suck or are wildly different from device-to-device. Not so with ExpressVPN.
A lot of thought has also gone into ExpressVPN’s apps.
Their apps look pretty much the same across all devices, so whether you torrent on a Windows desktop, Mac laptop, Android tablet or iOS smartphone, the VPN apps will all be familiar to you and easy to navigate.
All ExpressVPN apps have a ‘Smart Location’ feature which lets you connect to the fastest server at any given time.
It couldn’t be simpler for torrenting. Literally:
- Launch the ExpressVPN app
- Choose ‘Smart Location’
- Start torrenting in complete safety
If you want to be more selective about the server location or even VPN protocols to use, it’s all at your fingertips in ExpressVPN’s Settings, all spelled out in plain English.
Fast Torrent Downloads
ExpressVPN has a large footprint with 2,000 servers in 148 locations covering 94 countries. It has 30,000 IP addresses at its disposal.
Such a large number of servers around the globe means their VPN servers are optimized for fast speed which is essential for smooth torrenting.
Furthermore, ExpressVPN goes to pains to point out that it only buys high-quality bandwidth for its service (accounting for its above average price) rather than merely going for the cheapest options out there.
This means you can expect fast speeds regardless of the server location you choose, even those notoriously slow server locations in the Far East or the Middle East.
Of course, speed tests can vary for all kinds of reasons, but with ExpressVPN’s money back guarantee, you can perform your own tests too and make sure you are fully satisfied.
Good Value for Money
ExpressVPN’s price reflects that it is a premium VPN service. However, at $6.67 per month (thanks to the 49% discount they offer to our readers), that hardly busts the bank.
Plus, that’s a small price to pay for downloading torrents with complete peace of mind.
ExpressVPN’s no hassle 30-day full money-back guarantee also means you can put it through its paces before committing.
Most other VPN services only offer a 7-day guarantee period, so again ExpressVPN puts its money where its mouth is.
A Torrenting Toolbox
ExpressVPN has all the bells and whistles that today’s torrent downloaders demand.
- Kill switch? Check. (ExpressVPN calls this feature Network Lock)
- No logging? Confirmed.
- IPv6 leak protection? Check.
- DNS leak protection? Yup. (In fact, ExpressVPN routes all your DNS requests through its own zero-knowledge DNS servers) Confirmed.
- WebRTC leak protection? Yes. Confirmed safe by VoidSec's tests.
- OpenVPN protocol? Check.
- Shared IP addresses. Indeed.
- VPN scrambling for use in China and other heavy censorship locations? Check.
- Split tunneling? Yup.
- Bitcoin payments? Uh-huh.
Try it 30 days risk-free
Too Good to be True?
We know what you may be thinking: this all sounds too good to be true.
Well, ExpressVPN isn’t perfect.
For example, you can use a single account only on 3 devices at the same time. Most other VPN services allow 5 or ever more devices to be used at the same time with a single VPN account plan.
The limitation of 3 devices has been fine for us, but people looking to have more than 3 devices connected to the VPN simultaneously may wish to look at other torrent VPN services.
One solution is to use ExpressVPN’s router app. Using their router app will protect all the devices connected to your router (even if that’s lots more than 5 devices). Although ExpressVPN’s router app is easy to use, most people will prefer to stick with traditional VPN apps so the 3-device limit is a factor.
It's a small gripe, but we also don't like that ExpressVPN enables "Launch at Start-up". We would prefer that the default was not to launch and that we had to actively enable it.
ExpressVPN Torrenting: From Sign Up to Downloading
Whether you’re a first time VPN buyer or just wondering how signing up for ExpressVPN works, here’s the process:
1. Go to the ExpressVPN website and select the right plan for you (the longer the period you choose, the bigger the discount) and pay with any of the dozens of payment methods they accept.
2. You’ll instantly receive a welcome email. Click the prominent button, Set up ExpressVPN.
3. This will take you to a page on the ExpressVPN website which displays your unique key that you’ll need to use their VPN apps. Copy it to your clipboard for easy pasting later.
4. Download and install the apps you’ll need. ExpressVPN will autodetect your current device and prompt you to download the right app for it. You can also download and install all the other apps you need now or wait until later. You’ll use the same key to access them all.
5. Once the ExpressVPN app is installed, open it and paste the unique key you copied moments ago in your clipboard to unlock it.
6. The VPN app will open. You can get started right away by clicking on the big button.
This will quickly connect to a Smart Location automatically determined by ExpressVPN.
You always know when you are connected because the button will be green.
That’s all you need to know to be torrenting safely in no time!
However, we do suggest that you take some moments to explore some of the features and settings in the ExpressVPN apps.
For example, if you ever want to choose a specific server location, select ‘Choose Location’. In the submenu that appears, you can manually select whatever server location you want, test their speeds and star any locations you want among your favorites for even easier future access.
Under the main Settings menu (≡) and then Options, you can select whether ExpressVPN should launch on startup of your computer or device.
You can also select your preferred VPN protocol. While it’s OK to stick with ExpressVPN’s automatic selection here, we recommend the OpenVPN protocol. Still in Options, you can also confirm that IPv6 and DNS leak protection as well as the kill switch (Network Lock) are all enabled. These options will ensure your maximum protection when downloading torrents.
Lastly under Options, you can set up split tunneling (Connection Per App) on supported VPN apps if you wish. This lets you cherry-pick which applications are routed (or not) through the VPN.
For example, you may want to exclude your web browser from the VPN so you can still log into your email and social media accounts while safely torrenting in the background. You never want to be torrenting with the same IP address of a personal account that you are logged into!
The main Settings menu (≡) contains further goodies you can explore such as VPN Locations, a Speed Test and Diagnostics.
Other Tips for How to Torrent with ExpressVPN
Having a solid torrent-friendly VPN like ExpressVPN to protect your torrenting is a great start.
Here are a few other tips for safe and effective torrent downloading with ExpressVPN.
Only launch your torrent client software (for example, µtorrent or qBittorrent) after you have launched your ExpressVPN app and connected to its VPN servers. Apologies to torrent veterans but it’s worth pointing this out as we see too many newbies continue to make this mistake.
Rather than Googling, visit torrent index sites to find torrents to download. However, be aware that some of these have lots of annoying pop-ups and may even try to trick you into downloading malware – see our guide to Best Torrent Search Sites.
In addition, we recommend you only visit these and other sites related to your torrenting (such as movie subtitle websites) with your VPN enabled. This protects you from cross-referencing techniques that snoops may use to get you into trouble.
Wrap-up to ExpressVPN Torrenting (August 2018)
Phew! We hope we haven’t missed anything.
This post was specific to people interested in using ExpressVPN for torrenting. To read a more general review of ExpressVPN (after all, a VPN can be used for many things, not just torrenting), read our up-to-date ExpressVPN Review.
If you still have any questions or comments, please drop us a comment below.
Happy torrent downloading!
Try it 30 days risk-free.